In 2013, Bombardier underwent an 87,000 square foot addition to its existing industrial building/light-rail train factory, which has created 100 new jobs for Plattsburgh. Wiemann Lamphere Architects was previously hired to design the original factory in 1994 as well as its 1997 addition. (White roof portion built in 2013.)
The building’s sustainable solutions include:
• Sorting of waste stream in order to recycle materials from four demolished buildings.
• Skylights and clerestory windows for daylighting. This will reduce the electrical lighting load by increasing natural daylight.
• Night flushing- Controls installed to monitor indoor and outdoor temperature and relative humidity.
• Reflective Roof Surface- The proposed roofing membrane is a light color with a high Solar Reflective Index (SRI). These characteristics will reduce the solar heat gain and in turn benefits include a passive reduction in the cooling load.
• Pervious pavers used in outdoor storage yards reduce water runoff and allow infiltration of rain into the groundwater table.